Thursday 18 July 2013

Second Impact - David & Perri Klass

Synopsis
Second ImpactKendall is a football town, and Jerry Downing is the high school’s star quarterback, working to redeem himself after he nearly killed a girl in a drunk driving accident last year. Carla Jenson, lead reporter for the school newspaper’s sports section, has recruited Jerry to co-author a blog chronicling the season from each of their perspectives. When Jerry’s best friend on the team takes a hit too hard and gets hurt, Carla wonders publicly if injury in the game comes at too high a cost in a player’s life—but not everyone in Kendall wants to hear it..

- Netgalley

Opinion
Second impact was very different from any book I’ve read before. The entire book is written in blog format with a few e-mails. You got two bloggers Jerry Downing, the high school Quarterback, and Carla Jenson, a former soccer girl. The two students blog about Kendall High’s football season from their own perspectives and also about their personal live. Both Jerry and Carla had a rough year and all they want to do is look at the future and leave the past behind. You might think that a book written in blog post might get boring, but let me tell you it didn’t. There were enough plots twist in this book that kept me reading. While the book was about a football player it also focused on its negative elements, like players who play with injuries. There was a lot of discussion about it in this book that I think also is a topic in real life. Sometimes I did find it hard to understand the book with all the football terms they threw at my head. You see where I live (Belgium) there is no such thing as American Football, so I did find it quiet hard to understand all that they were saying. But that wasn’t enough for me to put this book aside.
I really liked Jerry and Carla as narrators, especially Carla. She has a strong voice and opinion on everything. And I loved hearing what she had to say. And maybe she made some mistakes but at least she stayed true to herself. Jerry  was also great and you could tell that he had changed since the year before. And I’m curious how their friendship developed after they graduated high school.


So if you like American football than this is definitely a book that you should read.
 

Extra
Authors: David & Perri Klass
Publication date: August 6th 2013
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Pages: 288 (Hardback)

El

 

 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!