Thursday 25 July 2013

The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)Synopsis

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


-Goodreads

Opinion

This book got me really torn up. I loved it, but at the same time I wanted to throw it at a wall at my home. Just as in The Selection I loved the idea of the book and it was a real page turner. We got to see a bit more about the rebels and know I definitely want to find out what they are after. And there was also more inside about how the country is ruled. But the characters in this book developed a nasty side. America went back and forth between Aspen and Maxon, she just couldn’t make up her mind. I was ok with that, because for some reason or another I could understand her. And like she said with Maxon comes also the crown and that’s a huge responsibility so I wouldn’t know either if were in her shoes. Aspen was just Aspen, but he tried to persuade America in a wrong way to pick him. And I don’t know where to begin with Maxon. In the first book he was a kind, sweet guy. At the beginning of this book he was still the same, but near the end he was a lying bastard. Yet in some ways I could understand him, but still. It will depend on the last book if I forgive him. The only character that was amazing as ever was Marlee. She stayed true to herself and she never disappointed me, I hope to see more of her in the next book. So at some point in the book I really wanted to shake the characters up to get some sense in them. But still long after finishing the book I couldn’t stop thinking about it and it held me awake at night. Like I said at the beginning this one got me really torn up and I hope that the last one won’t disappoint me.
 
Extra
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: April 23rd 2013
Pages: 323 (Hardcover)
Other books:
  • The Prince (The Selection #0.5)
  • The Selection (The Selection #1)
  • The Guard (The Selection #2.5) (Publications date: February 4th 2014)
  • The One (The Selection #3) (Publication date: May 6th 2014)

El

4 comments:

  1. I have yet to pick up this series, and I am intrigued by the premise but I have read many mixed reviews so I still don't know if I should pick it up or not. I do like the sound of the characters though, despite some of them being very complicated.

    Glad you enjoyed this! Great review, El! :D

    *New Follower*

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to pick up this series as well because of the mixed reviews. But I'm glad I picked it up. I hope that if you pick them up that you'll enjoy it :)
      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. I def know what you mean about simultaneously loving and wanting to throw this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I'm a bit afraid for the next one, it can be as awesome as The Selection or I might want to throw it again!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!