Sunday 1 September 2013

Sworn to Raise by Terah Edun

 16061083

Synopsis
Seventeen-year-old Ciardis has grown up in poverty, a cleaner in a small vale on the outskirts of the empire. But beneath her empire’s seemingly idyllic surface lies a hidden secret. Whispers of an inept crown Prince are growing ever louder—intensified by the five year anniversary of the soulbond initiations.

Amidst scandalous whispers, Ciardis finds herself chosen to train for the Companion’s Guild. She leaves her home and sets off on a personal journey to become a Court Companion. A position she’d never thought possible for a lowly servant to obtain, she must prove that she has the skills to attract a Patron.

But she must master those skills quickly. If the legends are true, only Ciardis can harness the power to raise a Prince in an Imperial Court sworn to bring him down.

This sensational series debut melds intricate storylines with remarkable characters and unforgettable magic. Sworn To Raise is ideal for fans of Kristin Cashore, Michelle Sagara, and Maria Snyder.


Opinion
The synopsis of this book picked up my interest immediately. It’s set in an unique world, and it had been a while since I read a fantasy book. And the world of this book really spoke to me while reading it, but at times I was a bit at loss because there was too little information about the setting. At times some scenes seemed a bit rushed and I wouldn’t have minded if they were longer so I could be totally hooked by this book. Still I liked the idea of this book and I think it could have been great if the plot was more developed. The ending of this book on the other hand was amazing, true it was a bit predictable but I still enjoyed it.
I liked most of the characters, but none of them was well developed. The only one we really got to know was Ciardis. She basically had no friends during the book, sure she spoke to some people but we didn’t get to know them well and that’s a shame. So I hope that there will be more character and plot development in the second book. I’m definitely going to give book two a shot.




Extra

Title: Sworn to Raise
Author: Terah Edun
Series: Courtlight
Publisher: Amazon Digital
Puplication date: April 10th 2013
Pages: 265
Other books:
  • Sworn to Transfer (Courtlight #2) (Publication date: September 20th 2013)
  • Sworn to Conflict (Courtlight #3) (Publication date: November 2013)

El

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughtful review El! I love it when people take a chance, find out it was more than expected and I hope to bring you an even better read in Book 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terah, I'm looking forward to read Book 2!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!