Friday 11 April 2014

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Synopsis
13035203Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at Cancer Kid Support Group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind. 


Opinion
Last year I read The Fault In Our Stars for the first time. After reading it I was a complete wrack and I tried to write a review but I couldn’t do it. So now I’ve reread TFIOS and here is finally my review! It’s going to be a relative short review ‘cause I still can’t say how I feel about this book.

If I have to describe it in one word it would be easy: emotional. This book made me laugh so many times but it made me also cry… a lot. Somehow Green managed to write a book about cancer with a lot of humor in it. And I’m glad he did otherwise the book would have been too depressing.

I loved Hazel and Augustus. At times they were complete opposites. Hazel was down-to-earth so knew she was going to die eventually and she avoided contact with most people because she wanted to hurt a few people as possible when she died. Augustus on the other hand was always optimistic. Thanks to him Hazel could really live again. She laughed again, made new friends, went even on a trip to Amsterdam! They were so cute together, even in miserable times they had this funny conversations that made you laugh at loud. But what I loved the most about them was that they stayed realistic and true to themselves. Hazel wasn’t afraid to tell Augustus what she thought of him when she disagreed with him. This couple really broke my heart!


I would highly recommend to anyone. Doesn’t matter if you’re young or old, male or female… you just need to read this book! 


Extra
Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green 
Genre: Contemporary, YA
Publisher: Penguin Books
Publication date: January 11th 2012
Pages: 313 (paperback) 

El


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!